Gran is my paternal grandmother, who until recently lived with her boyfriend in her house which is about 10 miles away. I have always been close to her, but I am even learning things about her now that her dementia has set in.
Some things to know about Gran:
- She’s close to her sister Marge, who lives next door.
- Her long-term memory is strong, but she only remembers new things for about 5 minutes—unless it pisses her off.
- Gran loves Sudoku and can finish a puzzle in minutes.
- She’s 83 but I place her current mental age as somewhere between 8-21 years old.
- Her youngest son was killed in a mill accident in 1999, so only my dad is left to look after her.
- While she still has her moments, dementia turned her from a sweet, soft-spoken lady to a foul mouthed, middle-finger wielding granny.
- She has tons of energy. Tons!
Thanks for stopping by to visit us. I’ll share stories and comics weekly.